Monday, March 9, 2009

Coffee Culture

A word to the wise: in the Balkans, one cup is enough.

It doesn’t hit you right away. The full effects take hours.

As Rachel put it, “The first hour is okay – you feel like you’ve just had any normal coffee. Within the next hour, however, you are flushed and sweating slightly.” Then, your heart begins to palpitate and you wonder if you should phone a friend or the paramedics. Eventually these feelings pass and you feel like you’ve had one of the most intense workouts of your life.

I’m accustomed to drinking my coffee black. But, alas, that is American drip coffee. Here, in cafes, they serve espresso, and at home, Turkish coffee. Bring on the cream and sugar!!

Turkish coffee is an acquired taste for some. It’s made by boiling cold water with fine, powdery grounds. Actually, it’s boiled twice, so that it releases more flavor and caffeine. It’s serve in a small mug, with the grounds. They sink to the bottom – be careful on those last few sips or else you’ll get grounds in your teeth! I add inappropriate amounts of sugar, but overall, I like it. In cafes, I drink the best cappuccinos ever created (and in ceramic mugs too. None of that Starbucks paper cup nonsense for me!!).

I’m posting this at 12:30, because, unfortunately, I had espresso at 8 and I’m still wide awake...

No comments: