Sunday, May 24, 2009

In Berlin

I love, love, love Berlin. I love Germany. I love speaking German. I love hearing German. I love directional signs. I love S- and U-Bahn maps. I love German efficiency.

It is such a relief to be in a city that is well ordered and doesn't make my life as a foreign tourist impossible. After Istanbul and Athens, I needed a break. We were both worried about getting lost on the way to our hostel late Friday night and then were like, "Oh wait... this is Germany... there are signs..."

Yesterday was great. It feels cold here, even though its not, but it's chillier here than in the last few places we've been. I took a (free!!) 4-hour walking tour of the city to get my bearings. It was led by a great Aussie and it was a good time.

Today I went back to the Checkpoint Charlie/Berlin Wall Museum and the exhibit at the Holocaust Memorial. Then I went up in the dome of the Reichstag building!! It was so cool, but hot as a greenhouse in the glass dome.

I'm waiting for Rachel to meet me at the hostel (we're staying at "The Generator" - a huge 900-bed/EUR 8 per night place in East Berlin. It's so much fun!)... then, hopefully, dinner!!

Home at the end of the week!!!!!

No comments: